About

Our association with Electric fencing began 30 years ago in Central Africa operating out of Zimbabwe (formally Rhodesia) where we used electric fencing to assist farmers, wildlife conservationalists and entrepreneurs to control the African wildlife. We moved to the UK in 2000 and have become involved in the Equestrian side of Electric fencing in addition to the normal environmental and agricultural application of the product over the last few years. We have continued our contacts around the world and recent contracts have included working with Shell to protect their Siberian oil facilities from attacks from bears. Reducing the Human/Elephant conflict in Africa and contributing to the re-release of wild wolves in Italy.

Blog Catalogue

Blog Directory

5 Responses to About

  1. Tracy Campton says:

    In May this year I found one of our horses dead in her paddock. The horse was lying with her head resting on the electric fence. The horse was a healthy 6 year old mare. There was no sign of a struggle, it was as if the horse had dropped dead at the fence. An autopsy was not performed but the vet said that the most probable cause of death was a heart attack or aneurism and in no way related to the fence. Five days later I put another horse in the same paddock, but did not connect the electric fence for several days. The morning after I connected the fence I found the horse dead in the paddock, she was laying over the electric fence. Both horses had not been entangled, but were simply touching the fence. The electric unit has since been investigated by Worksafe Tasmania but they were unable to find any fault with the unit. I am convinced, however, that it was contact with the electric fence that killed both horses. How could this be possible.

    • admin says:

      Hi Tracy, That is terrible and I can see where your suspicions lie. I can honestly say I’ve never heard of deaths of any animal, never mind a horse occurring as you describe. Getting caught in the fence – yes but not simply touching it.
      I cannot really help as I’m in the UK. There was a series of horse deaths here in the UK last year but that was caused by an underground power line touching a pipe and the horses getting electrocuted from that (there was no electric fence involved) They were highly bred Thoroughbreds so probably on the fussy side. There was another incident at a racetrack a few years ago where the power line ran under the parade ring and the horses were killed by that touching their shoes. Could there be a mainline in the area?

      • Tracy Campton says:

        We had the property tested and other sources of electricity investigated and it was all clear.

        • admin says:

          I’ve entered into correspondence with Tracy to try to find a solution. Regrettably I have been unable to pin down a satisfactory result.
          The circumstantial impression certainly looks ugly but the same fence arrangement has been in operation for 10 years without incident. The energiser has been tested and found to be functioning correctly. It is a 8 joule unit on only 160 meters of fencing so far too strong but never the less should not be lethal. In the absence of a post mortem nothing may be ruled out – snake bite or other cause of death. Considering the huge number of horse – not just here in the UK- exposed to EF and no known replications of these fatalities are known.
          Regrettably this unfortunate sequence looks like it will go down as one of those unexplained incidents.

  2. Tracy Campton says:

    Today it was confirmed that the death of two of our horses, in May this year, was caused by our electric fence. When we brought our property 10 years ago the energiser was left attached to the fence line. We were unaware that at some stage prior to this a repair had been carried out on the circuit board of the energiser. Extensive testing after the death of our horses has shown that a small amount of silicon had been used to reseal the housing when putting the energiser back together. The silicon had over the years deteriorated and allowed ants to enter the compartment. The ants had gone to the circuit board, been electrocuted and then carbonised. As a result of this the circuit board was compromised and the output from the unit became very erratic. The frequency of the pulse had been completely altered, thus resulting in a very dangerous situation and the death of two horses. Please be aware that electric fence energisers that have been compromised in some way can result in death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>